Wednesday, October 28, 2009

"Just Ask" Part 2

The local newspaper just made it onto my list. A subscription renewal reminder came in the mail, along with a 30% rate increase. I emailed their customer service department and instructed them "Please do not renew my subscription when it expires." (You must do this, or they will continue to deliver the paper, citing no cancellation instructions from you, and then the circulation department expects you to pay for the papers they deliver.) I simply stated that the cost of subscribing had risen beyond my comfort level.

Within an hour, I had a reply email offering the same subscription package at the previous period's promotional price, a full $21 less than the renewal bill they sent.

Just remember these simple criteria: Say "Please" when you ask them to help you cut your costs so you don't have to cancel, and "Thank You" when they offer to try and help. Give them a reason for your request. ("I can no longer afford it" is working very well right now.) Be willing to compromise; it's good negotiating when both sides win something.

No comments:

Post a Comment